Forum Thread: What Are Your Resolutions for This Year's Steampunk?

Happy new year!

Historically, the first few days of the new year are perhaps the most forward-looking time of the entire year, so it's only appropriate to think of what Steampunk has in store for us in the future.

And as we all know, the future is what we make it!

So why not share your resolutions for this coming year? I don't mean things like "lose weight" (which, coincidentally, is at the top of my list), but things like "make an air pirate costume" or "learn how to do leatherworking".

Included below is my list of resolutions for the coming year. I hope they inspire you to share (and then fulfill) your own!

1. Incorporate Arduinos into More Props

Arduinos are awesome, and they make pretty much anything fun and dynamic. Last year I learned how to use them (and you can learn, too!), but this year I want to actually put them into as many new Steampunk projects as I can!

2. Stop Doing Nerfpunk

I've been coerced into doing Nerfpunk for several years in a row when it was originally intended to be a one-year gag. I'm stopping this year, I swear! I need to find a new gag!

3. Sew Something

It's been a source of much embarrassment for me that despite having a wife who may very well be one of the best seamstresses in the country, I can't sew a single stitch. That will change this year! I resolve to actually sew something for myself, even if it turns out unwearable!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Also, that's my wife in the picture above, wearing an outfit she made for herself.

4. Make the Giant Rifle I've Been Planning to Make for Years

I had an idea for a giant rifle something like three or four years ago, and I still haven't made it. It's going to be an 8-10 foot long gun based on this photo of a punt gun:

I don't want to go into too much detail lest someone steal the idea from me before I get around to making it, but it will be epic. I'm very excited about it, and I resolve to make it happen this year!

5. Go to More Steampunk Conventions

This last year, my wife and I decided to cut down on our convention attendance due to... well, it was just too much for us. It was costing too much money and time, even when we were guests.

However, I couldn't help but feel that I missed out on some great conventions, and I really hope that I can make up for it this year! My convention wish list for this year is:

• DragonCon
  • AnachroCon
  • TeslaCon
  • Wild Wild West Con
  • SteamCon
  • Steampunk World's Fair
  • AetherFest

I'll definitely be able to go to the first three, but I hope I can make it to at least one or two of the others!

6. Write More Steampunk Fiction

This shouldn't be hard, because I think I only wrote one piece of Steampunk fiction in the last year. As some of you may remember, I'm also a fiction writer, and I shared one of my stories here earlier this year. I hope people liked it!

Even if they didn't, I should really take some time to write more Steampunk fiction. I really enjoy it, and it's one of those things I keep meaning to do, but always put off.

7. Make More Tutorials

I love sharing my knowledge with people, so I'm resolving to do more of that this year! I've made a few really solid tutorials in the last year, like this one on leatherworking and this one on spray painting, but there's always room for more! The feedback I've gotten on them has just been so overwhelmingly positive that it's really inspired me to do better in this coming year.

Thank you to everyone who reads and appreciates my articles and tutorials!

Now why don't you share some of your own Steampunk resolutions?

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active