Ever since the mid-2000s, there's been a lot of bandying back and forth on the Internet over what exactly Steampunk is. Some people think it's one thing, others another thing, and some think that it shouldn't be defined at all.
To hell with all of that!
I polled some Steampunks on Facebook (here and here) about what they thought Steampunk is, and included below are 28 of the best and worst definitions of Steampunk that I've ever seen! They range from tongue-in-cheek to serious, and from cynical to ridiculous. Enjoy!
- When Johnny Rotten does his ironing
- When goths discover brown
- When sepiapunks discovers color
- A Dieselpunk's parents' home movies
- That thing Justin Bieber does on his video
- Victorian Science Fiction
- What happens when fanboys finally bathe
- Hipsters for the 1890's
- Dorks in moth-eaten garb with things hot-glued to them
- When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...with gears on it
- It's taking the past and the future and making something not quite as good as either.
- Men in Brown
- If you don't clank when you walk, it isn't steampunk
- What the 21st century thinks that the Victorians thought the 21st century would be like
- The strangest group of welders I've ever seen...
- If the mad hatter was a mad clockmaker instead
- A mix between Batman and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- When you push modern or future technology/elements into the Age of Steam
- An informal competition to wear as many shades of brown and tan at the same time as possible
- Jules Verne? There ya go
- The way people in the 1880s would have imagined the future
- A re-imagining of Victorian-era science fiction
- Victorian with a twist
- Victorian Science Fiction come to life
- An ongoing techno-victorian costume party
- Mark Twain and His Death Ray
- Science Fiction about the Industrial Revolution
- Just Google it!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.