In the early 20th century, some people decided that it would be a great idea to play polo with cars. Sounds like a great idea, right?
It was, and it wasn't.
Thousands flocked to see auto polo games from the 1910s to the 1920s, but it was ridiculously dangerous. As you may note, this was after the Edwardian era, which is the time we generally end Steampunk and begin Dieselpunk. However, these cars were so stripped-down that they nearly look late-Victorian.
As many of you may know, the internal combustion engine was actually developed and used in prototype automobiles during the Victorian era, so I feel like this game owes a significant debt to that time.
Gaze at the collection of pictures below in awe and wonderment. Be amazed at the people who were willing to risk life and limb to entertain onlookers and make some money!
Looks harmless enough, right? Good, clean fun!
Well, it wasn't all fun and games, as the below pictures will demonstrate!
So while auto polo may be a little too late to properly be Steampunk, I still think it's pretty much the most Steampunk game I've ever seen.
I would really, really love to see an auto polo group costume at a convention. Make it happen!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades